Gerogia Appalachian Trail

by max posted Dec 08, 2015
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄

Georgia Appalachian Trail Club (http://georgia-atclub.org) 에 두번째 캠핑출사를 위해 문의를 했는데 답장이 왔군요. 

70세가 넘으신 베테랑의 답변이니 앞으로 산행을 준비하시는 분들에게도 필요할까 해서 나눕니다.

참고로 이번 연말은 대부분의 분들이 바쁘셔서 주중 시간이 되시는 분들 있으면 다음주초쯤 후딱 다녀오고 아니면 1월초에 공지하도록 하겠습니다.

Glad to help with your questions

How long to hike Georgia?
Obviously this depends on conditions of the trail and the physical conditions of the hikers. I am 73 years old and in good condition. Starting from Springer Mtn, I take it easy and plan stops at Hawk Mtn shelter, Gooch Mtn shelter, either Woods Hole shelter or Lance Creek camping area, Low Gap shelter, Blue Mtn shelter, Tray Mtn shelter, resupply and 0 day at Dicks Creek Gap and then go onto Bly Gap and points north. This make a probable 7 day trip.
There are a variety of different option using Whitley Gap and Plumorchard shelters or camping elsewhere. Also be aware that when you get to Bly Gap, you will need to backtrack in Georgia or go onto NC.
A good trail guide such as David "AWOL" Miller's "The A.T. Guide" will help you plan your trips. The guides will provide info on water, shelters and cross roads.

Camping in Winter Time?
There are no restrictions on camping in Georgia. There are numerous springs for water. All of the shelters have camping. There is one exception - From March 1 to June 1 you cannot camp between and including Jarred Gap and Neel Gap unless you have a bear canister to store your food. 

One Night two day hiking

You have a bunch of options for an overnight. Again best to consult a guide book. There are  a number of paved and decent Forest Service roads which intersect the trail. For example, if you wanted to start at Springer Mtn, there is a shelter at 2.8 miles and a road crossing at 4.3 miles. Or go from Springer to Hawk Mtn Shelter and have second car at High Tower Gap.

Camping and camp fires

Please keep fires in established fire rings, The are fire rings at shelters and established camp sites.

Photo spots

A bunch of places with great views. Among them are Springer Mtn, rivers and rapids at Three Forks, Woody Gap and a little north on the trail is Preacher Rock, Blue Mtn shelter, Blood Mtn, Rocky Mtn and Tray Mtn.

Hope this all helps. Feel free to email me directly if you have additional question.

Pete "Smokestack" Buak